Luh Jang Chen is our Chinese teacher. Mrs. Luh Jang earned a Bachelor’s degree in Art from one of the most prestige universities in Taiwan, the National Taiwan Normal University, and multiple special certificates in art creation. Academically trained and practiced professionally as an educator, artist, and designer, Mrs. Luh Jang has integrated arts, crafts, and computer multimedia technique into a friendly and effective teaching and learning platform.
Before opening her own Corvallis-based language and art teaching studio in 2004 Mrs. Luh Jang was the Chinese Language Art teacher at Ashbrook Independence School for 6 years. She also served as the Principal and lead teacher of Corvallis Chinese School from 2004 to 2007 and 2010 to 2017. Mrs. Luh Jang is currently the Executive Director of Greater Portland Association of Chinese Language Schools (GPACLS) include Chinese School from Eugene, Corvallis, Portland and Vancouver, Washington. Selected by Oversea Chinese Culture and Education Foundation based on her long term dedication and contribution in Chinese/culture education, creative teaching methodology, and the pioneer in digital transformation of Chinese web-based multimedia education, Mrs. Luh Jang was presented the award by the Vice President of Republic of China as the 2016 Worldwide Chinese Teacher of the Year.
“Ashbrook provides an energetic environment and the continuous opportunities for me to create a forum for students to submerge and express themselves in Chinese. With my background and passion about teaching and learning together with my student, I am fortunate to be able to create unique and a diversified set of teaching materials for my student combining Chinese art, Chinese culinary, Chinese craft, folk songs, and dances that goes beyond the traditional textbook and teaching methodology. I am passionate about teaching and continuous learning therefore I routinely share my teaching experience, methodology, and educational materials that I created with Chinese educators worldwide.”
Awards, honors, and experience
- 2016 Worldwide Chinese Teacher of the Year Award (師鐸奬), Oversea Chinese Culture and Education Foundation
- Taiwanese Cuisine Culinary Certification, 2016
- Organizer, host, and lead instructor in Oregon-Washington Annual Youth Chinese Culture Summer Camp. (2011- present)
- Refereed paper presenter at 2nd International Conference for Chinese Heritage Education in D.C. (08/14/2016)
- Keynote speaker and lead instructor on “The Art of Teaching Chinese” at 2016 Chinese Language Digital Teaching Association Annual Meeting (03/20/2016, Milpitas, CA)
- Certified North America Chinese Instructor and web-based mandarin instructor (Certified by OCAC, 2009-present)
- Seasoned professional graphic designer and art consultant in New York and Oregon.